Monday, August 11, 2008

Something the Same



My friend and colleague Madison Dotson opened her photography exhibition this evening. In her work, she documents the everyday lives of the people of North Georgia, where she grew up, and in Hawaii, where she recently visited. As Katherine Mitchell, artist extraordinaire, commented tonight, "everything looks so familiar" in Madison's work.

I have learned many things from Madison, including this idea of documentation of the familiar, of everyday reality. In fact, Madison is my blog mentor. (Check out her amazing blog at http://www.curio-abyss.com/). She gave me the idea, and she taught me the basics before my trip to Ireland. Some of her work is pictured here, along with photographs of Madison alone--and enjoying an artistic lunch moment with Anna Leo, great and good friend and dedicated blog reader. My wholehearted blog thanks to Madison and Anna.

No comments: