Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Namaste

I'm reading Love Delhi, a specialty guide book of Rebecca's. I'm astonished by the size and complexity of Delhi, new and old.

It's a city described by Jan Morris as "unimaginably antique," continually inhabited since at least 1000 BC. More than the oft-referenced seven cities of Delhi, there are at least 16 and maybe even 20. It's also a modern day political powerhouse with over 800
babus or politicians (no comment!).

Luckily, there are many small cafes, tea houses, and shops to visit. I've already picked out Triveni Tea Terrace which is apparently a Delhi institution for radicals, artists, writers, and thinkers. In fact, it has has sign which welcomes "staff, students, artists and art lovers only. Outsiders not permitted." I expect to fit right in immediately, perhaps after a visit to The Book Shop or another place called Fact & Fiction. I can already see myself reading an Indian novel over a piping hot cup of chai.

India is calling me.

No comments: