Sunday, October 11, 2009

Perception and Reflection


The work of Anne Truitt is on exhibition at the Hirshhorn Museum. While in DC, in between meetings, I made a mad dash on the metro to get there. Well worth the effort.

About her works on paper, in her journal Daybook: The Journey of An Artist, Truitt writes, "I use only pencil and very little paint against a field of action I render at once active and inert. . . . In these paintings I set forth to see myself how they might appear, what might be called the tips of my conceptual icebergs in that I put down so little of all that they refer to. I try in them to show forth the forces I feel to be a reality behind, and more interesting than, phenomena."
Among other qualities, her works are characterized by their very poetic names: "Spring Dryad," "Morning Choice," "17th Summer," "Evensong," "First Requiem," all very quiet yet substantial.

No comments: