Sunday, January 26, 2014

Something Deeply Hidden

"Something deeply hidden had to be behind things": these words, attributed to Einstein, can be traced to his encounter with a compass at age 5.  There were hidden forces in the universe. There are hidden forces within ourselves as well.

This blog, taken overall, explores those hidden forces in the universe of being--what is beneath the experience of our lives, our travel, our emotions?

For now, I'm led to explore the idea of boxes or containers or vessels.  This thought came to me with the New Year, the thought of unlocking what felt like the boxed-in, compressed turmoil of life--all jam-packed together seemingly without order.  With the opening of a little space, what did these tangled items have in common, did they fit together, what did they reveal?


Since then, I've been noting such visible containers or boxes in my life.  What do they hold?  Do they all tell a story--whether of collected moments or of holidays survived.


This one is called a poem box. Some colleagues gave it to me many years ago. I'm now thinking of actually placing favorite poems in it, a thought that had not occurred to me until I began to pursue this line of thinking. There are so many poems encircling me.

And here's another: College Collage.
It's a file box created during those years--and it still holds file cards from old term papers about topics I didn't even know (anymore) that I once studied.

What do these boxes that occupy my space say about my life, about the inner and outer places, about what is hidden behind and within things?

No comments: