Thursday, July 31, 2008

All Roads are One



As I prepare to leave Annamakherrig, I'll be taking these and many more images with me. My husband and I will be celebrating our 32nd anniversary by traveling around the Emerald Isle--from Dublin to Galway to Sligo to Belfast to Rathfriland then back to Dublin again. We will be able to visit some of our Irish cousins along the way.


Seamus Heaney's volume Station Island refers to the famous site of a pilgrimage from the Middle Ages to the present day at Donegal Island. He ends this volume, with a long poem "Sweeney Redivivus," stimulated by his translation of the medieval Irish poem Buile Shuibhne.

"On the Road" is the last poem concluding this book, stating that "all roads are one." Hence this portion of my journey reaches its conclusion as another journey awaits me.

I will not be blogging quite so often, dear and loyal readers. But look for occasional postings and highlights. Upon my return to the states, I intend to post some of the photos and reflections of this next phase of my journey in order to bring these travels of Rambling Rose to a close. Thanks to all who have been reading, responding, and supporting my efforts--especially those who allowed their pictures to be included in these reflections on my Irish adventures. And a special note of thanks to my colleague from the Emory University Department of Music, composer John Anthony Lennon, who first told me of a place called Annamakherrig.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We, your dear readers, cheated. The blog is coming to a close? A hiatus is certainly understandable, under the circumstances--your husband is very high maintenance, after all. But an end? Aren't your travels going to continue? And we are eagerly waiting the Emory spa report as well...can you be prevailed upon to change your plans?