Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Hope Project









Basti Hazrat Hizamuddin is a 14th century village built around the shrine of the Sufi Saint Hzt. Nizamuddin Auliya. It is filled with narrow lanes, markets, and mosques. Because it is auspicious to be buried near a saint, there are many tombs in the area.

The Hope Project, founded in 1980 by a Sufi teacher to help the poor in this community, provides a health and education program for young children and women and also sponsor tours of this important but little known site in Delhi.

Naturally, Rebecca both knew about it and was keen for a tour, which extended over several hours. We were intrigued and surprised by the history and mysteries of the place. In addtion to everything else, we visited the tomb of Mirza Ghalib, one of India's great poets who is frequently referenced as India's Shakespeare.

Our day also included lunch at a South Indian restaurant and a trip to FabIndia, a tourist destination for shopping. Exhausted, we returned to our humble abode at the World Buddhist Centre for dinner.

I will be leaving Delhi in the middle of the night tomorrow (Monday), so I have just over 24 hours left on my Magical History Tour. We expect to spend this last bit of time in East of Kailash ("E of K"), our own (relatively) quiet neighborhood.

I will be home in Atlanta for Christmas and Sean's birthday. On the weekend, he and I are planning a trip to Florida to see my parents and my sister for a few days. My father has checked out of the hospital and is now at the health center of their retirement community, walking distance for my mother. I am eager to see both the Georgia and Florida family, although sad and sentimental at the thought of departing Delhi--and, of course, leaving behind my gracious and knowledgeable guide.

No comments: