Friday, December 19, 2008

"Resplendent Immortal Tear Drop on the Cheek of Time"






The poet and Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore described the Taj Mahal in this eloquent way. For me, the perfection of the structure, order, color, light, and relationship to the surroundings--the Taj is everything promised by its shining splendor.

Unfortunately, the path to get to the Taj is less lovely. Rebecca and I spent four hours yesterday each way amidst snarling traffic and the otherwise unimpressive city of Agra. Nonetheless, it was worth the trip--and especially to see the school children of Stepping Stone school (north of Delhi) swarming Rebecca and speaking Hindi, English, and Hinglish with her. I'm eager to post some of the beautiful pictures we took. But that will have to wait until I get home.

Everything in India is an adventure. And today we explored some of Rebecca's favorite historical, cultural, and shopping sites: Qutb Minar (spectacular!); Lodi Gardens (transcendent!); Dilli Haat craft market (pleasant!); Khan Market (charming!), and the Imperial Hotel for High Tea (expensive!). Quite a full and enchanting day.


We continue to meet many fascinating people here at the World Buddhist Centre, including several from Dharmsala who have connections with Emory and our Tibetan programs. It is, indeed, a very small world after all.

My local historian and tour guide has gone to bed, which I must do soon as well.

For all of those who have sent sweet messages regarding my family: dhayawad! My father is expected to be released from the hospital tomorrow. Please continue to hold him and also my mother in your heart and in your thoughts. Rebecca and I are enjoying the memories of stories of their many adventures around the world; they are our true guides in all that we do in India--and elsewhere.

No comments: