Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"We Live at the Temple"

Yesterday, while Rebecca was trying to compete her foreign registration, I struck out on my own to the Lotus Temple by auto-rickshaw. The Lotus Temple is a magnificent work of architecture and a holy place for the Baha'i faith. It is a soothing and silent place, inspiring in its grandeur. I felt it very calming and spiritual.

I was able to negotiate the price, going and coming--and even remembered the address of where we are staying in order to return. I have studied under the master of bargaining with the rickshaw drivers. When they bring us back to the World Buddhist Centre, Rebecca--after much haggling in fluent Hindi will say--"we live at the Temple." This statement brings people to her perspective quickly.

After a busy afternoon of browsing (and just a bit of shopping) we had dinner with the Acting Ambassador for India, Steven White, friends through friends, and his family. Steven is originally from Atlanta, and they have led a very fascinating and nomadic life in the foreign service and greeted us with much "southern hospitality." His daughter Eden has applied to go to Emory.

Rebecca's trip for foreign registration hit a snag yesterday, so she is back in line today. I am suffering from a bit of a cold, so have contented myself with cups of tea and some mysterious Indian remedies. When she returns, we hope to go to the Crafts Museum and also to make plans to go to Agra soon.

We have had a bit of worrisome news from Florida, but Ron--helpful, as always--is down there with my mother caring for my father. All of you throughout the world, please send blessings to my family. It is hard for us to be separated, but I am satisfied that I am in India with Rebecca, where my parents want me to be. She is teaching me many new things about this culture, and we are learning how to take care of one another.

Namaste.

No comments: